Thursday, August 25, 2005

She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named
August 25, 2005

Right after lunch, Marni the 30 something secretary, walked up to me and twiddled with her hair. She was probably midway in thought when Rina, the incumbent brand group manager passed by, coughing violently the last of her flu symptoms.

“We surely are going to miss her,” Marni said.

“Not as much as the brand group is, though. I heard the replacement is a real pain in the neck. Rumor has it that Vera wailed her way to get the car upgrade she’s enjoying now,” I replied.

Marni moved in closer, “I wonder why the office memo didn’t say that she used to work for this company…”

“What? She did? And when was that?” I got all excited.

“It was I think in the eighties for a couple of years. Only a few of the current employees, like old Joel and Marian, have stayed long enough to remember. She was pretty good, surprisingly. Turned the business around especially in the fragrance category when there was a deep slump.”

“Then why didn’t she stay long enough as Joel and Marian? If Vera is a good as they say and she stayed long enough, she might just well be the General Manager,” I wondered.

“She wasn’t called Bitch Queen then for nothing. See that Harry Potter scar on Joel’s forehead?” There was a faint trace of two parallel lines running the upper third of Joel’s wrinkled face as I looked at him from a distance. “Vera did that. Threw a stapler at him when he refused to back her up on the budgeting proposal. Vera was on high profile that time, presenting to Global top management.”

“Eew. That’s nasty… Am curious. What did her resignation announcement say then when she decided to quit?”

Marni gaped at me, and her eyes sparked, she looked different. It was the familiar look of evil I encounter every time she goes scheming on unsuspecting victims. “You know,” she hissed to me, “I think we should find that out in the Human Resources department. I should make a call to Mareng Martha. For old times sake.”

She smiled and left. In the wake of that sudden epiphany, steam was rising from the tracks on her heels.

Misery really must love (this) company.

1 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger daytripper1021 said...

Nice blog! Para akong nagbabasa ng blog-version ng "The Office" (an old BBC sitcom).

Keep 'em coming!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home