Tuesday, August 15, 2006

FIGHT OR FLIGHT

When work is like the old cliche - tides crashing one after the other
On weathered boulders on a pebble beach
You long for the *other* old cliche - nice warm bed with a high thread-
count blanket, cozying you up on a rainy night.
I wonder if other people were as thinskinned as I am?
Or was I just an unlucky bug stepped on by the universe's callous foot?
You see, my daily last and first thoughts make me blush:
Numbers swarm the left hemisphere of my brain,
Floaters in my weary eyes right before I tuck myself in.
And when I wake wide-eyed to my phone's screaming alarm
There's an army of To Dos marching through my bedroom door
Help Please! Could I possibly resign anytime soon?
(Then again there's a double digit unemployment rate
And racism in Australia
And an extreme case of homesickness
And airport terrorism
And Asian birdflu
I'd rather gulp the gourdlike pressure and stay put.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home