Saturday, November 24, 2007

Books, Blessings, Resolutions


I am soooo excited that December's around the corner! Friends coming home for our annual get-together, my nephew's first Christmas tree (well, okay, second -- but last year he just slept ALL the time so he didn't notice), possibly our first father-side family reunion (which we decided to do after 50 percent of the original clan members opted to seek greener pastures ... in the After Life), and of course, Christmas! The dawn masses, the recollections, and even just the overall energy and faith everywhere which just comes at this time of the year. (Christmas is about Christ being born. Sometimes I'm guilty of forgetting that too.)

Another reason to celebrate is that the Philippine Speculative Fiction 3 (edited by Dean and Nikki Alfar) will be launched on the 8th. Have been elated to see some of the best Pinoy writers in the anthology -- and I so wish to see them in person, just to confirm that it's not a dream haha.


Isn't that the most beautiful cover you've ever seen? Photo stolen from Dean's site. :-D

The launch is on:
8th December 2007 Saturday
4PM Fully Booked Flagship Store
Bonifacio High Street, Taguig


Speaking of launches, friend Tyron Caliente will also have another story "Girlfriend in a Coma" appearing in the antho "Very Short Stories for Harried Readers" edited by Vince Groyon. This collection of flash fic will be out by December, and Tyron uses his real name there, but I'm not sure if he wants me to say it here. Check it out at his site.

Talking to PGS's Kenneth the other day made me realize that although I missed the shot at greatness twice this year (Palanca and the Graphic Fiction Awards; good luck to the shortlisted authors, btw), it had been a great year for getting my stories accepted and published. I'm crossing my fingers for two stories which I hope to come out in the 1st Quarter, but even if they don't, Ha! C'est la vie. There are more opportunities out there, for as long as I keep on working and reworking stories.

This year I also got to meet more writers and publishers, and it has been an amazing experience, drinking in every Litcritter session I could attend, learning as much as I can, and having fun with the most imaginative and creative people I've ever met. I don't feel like I'm the same writer twelve months ago. In a good kind of way. (I'd probably still have awful sentence constructions, like this and the previous one, but at least I know that they are hideous.)


Anyway...

Next year I'm planning to take bold steps in my profession. (Nope, hindi ako magsho-showbiz pero hindi naman ako sarado sa option an iyon haha). I might try finish my degree (Kara, your continuous ribbing is finally getting to me). I would be braver in things I would not mention here, because, well, they're too sensational haha. I hope to be wiser. (Hmm. It's beginning to sound like an old song.) I hope to use less parentheses.

Ah, well. Here's to life and more of it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home